onl

Monday, January 30, 2012

The lion and the mouse (A KURD FOLKTALE)

It once happened that a lion, the ruler of animals, the little mouse lived in a neighborhood. The lion was proud and majestic.
When he walked in the woods, he did not give attention to anyone, did not accept any one’s greeting Once a small mouse saw that there goes the lion, so he rushed forward to greet the lion, to exchange some one or two good words.

"It does not suit me, to the padishah of animals to start a conversation with a meek mouse" - the lion thought himself, and went away.

The mouse was hurt, that he has such an unfriendly neighbor. He did not go in front of the lion anymore.

Once, the lion disappeared. Passed a day, passed two days, and he just does not turn up on that path, where he used to walk. "sure my neighbor has got sick" - thought the mouse. On the third day the mouse decided to visit. "No matter how rude he is, I just cannot leave him alone in trouble."

The mouse ran through the forest to the lion's house - but he just heard someone moaning in the vicinity. He went out into the clear way and saw the lion. He was on the path lying and whimpering. One of the front legs stuck in a trap. the huge lion had become emaciated, and on his back, paws there were bruises, scratches: he struggled with the trap for a long time, but he could not escape, and became quite weak.

- What happened to you, dear neighbor, why are you moaning so painfully? - Burst into tears the mouse.

- Don’t you see, that I am caught in the trap? This is the third Day that I am struggling, but I can not escape it. The trap is tied with a strong rope to the tree. If the hunters find me, I can say goodbye to my life. Help me, neighbor, chew the rope, I will not forget it as long as I live!

The mouse felt sorry for the lion. Started chewing on the rope with his sharp tooth, it was chewed by the mouse and the lion was free.

From then on, he did not turn away when he met with the mouse, but greeted the mouse in advance.

Translated from Hungarian by me

No comments: