onl

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Stretch as far as the blanket reaches (An Armenian Folktale)

Once, a king summoned all the tailors of his kingdom and ordered them to stitch a blanket, which is neither too short nor too long, but just suitable to his size. Amongst the tailors, none was able to fulfill the wishes of the king, and so the king ordered to chop off their heads.

Then another tailor came to the king's court.

- King - he said - and I will sew a blanket for you and it will be just suitable for you : neither short nor long.

- All right, you can sew - said the king - but I warn you, keep it in your mind : if it will be even slightly shorter or longer, I will get your head chopped off as well.

- It's a deal - said the tailor.

He set to work and intentionally he stitched the blanket a little shorter. Then took it to the king laid it before him, he himself hid a whip under his apron.

- Strength and health to you, my lord the king – greeted the tailor - I brought you a blanket as you ordered, take a look whether or not you are satisfied with it.

- Give me, let me see, is it of my size?

The king went to bed, pulled the blanket, but his legs could not be covered. Then the tailor took the whip from under his apron, and lashed the king’s bare feet. The king immediately tucked them under the covers.

- Keep your feet under the blanket - said the tailor.

The king heard the wise advice, and did not say a word to the tailor, and even rewarded him handsomely, and left him to go in peace.

No wonder the proverb says:

"Stretch as far as the blanket reaches."

Translated from Hungarian by me

No comments: