onl

Sunday, February 19, 2012

The best friend and the worst enemy (Story about the King Matthias of Hungary)

Once one of the ministers cheated the king Matthias. He became a peasant.

Once king Matthias was going somewhere he met the minister who was plowing the field.


- Well, what are you doing? – asks.

- I am sowing the seeds, Sir! – says the minister.

- Come to meet me at Buda sometime and bring with you your best friend and your worst enemy. If you do this I will tell you something.

The minister went home and killed a sheep and then made his hands red with blood. His wife asks him:

- Oh what have you done that your face is also filled with blood?

Then the minister whispered to his wife:

- I have killed the goldsmith but don’t say this to anyone as you will also get the jewellery.

Then the next day he went to the Buda, taking with his dog and his wife.

When he reached Buda then at the castle he put his one leg on the back of the dog and then walking on one leg limping went up there.

Then says the king:

- I see you have come . Where is your best friend?

At this the minister beat up his dog and drove him away. Then called the dog back , who came back and started licking his hand.

Then says the king:

- I see this is your best friend. But where is your worst enemy?

At this the minister turned towards his wife and shouted angrily to her:

- What are you winking at the king in front of me?

It was enough for the wife now. She became red due to anger and said to the king:

- Sir, he is a killer , he had killed your goldsmith, now how can he speak like this?

The king questioned the man now to know what was the truth.
He just said this:

- Well Sir, out of all this only the truth is that I killed a sheep and with its blood I made my hands red and I told my wife that I had killed the goldsmith and don’t tell this to anyone as she will also get a part of the jewellery. Now from this you can see how is my biggest enemy.

Then says the king:

- I see.

Then he forgave the minister and accepted him back.

Translated from Hungarian by me

No comments: