onl

Thursday, December 15, 2011

THE LIAR ( AN ARMENIAN FOLKTALE )


THE LIAR (An Armenian folk tale)

Once upon a time there was a king. Once he sent his trumpeters to all the parts of the country to announce to the people:

- Listen, people ! Who amongst you can tell a lie in the best way, the king will award that person with a golden apple !

People from far and near came to the king’s court: kings, princes, and ministers, uncountable number of people, but neither of them could please the king.

In the end a tattered poor man, came to the king, he had a jug in his hand.

- What do you want? – asked the king.

- May God give the king, strength and good health –said the poor man- I have come for my money: you owe me a jug full of gold.

- You are telling a lie- answered the king-, I don’t owe you anything.

- Am I lying ? Then give me the golden apple, if I am a liar.

The king recognized the person’s cunningness, and started to defend himself.

- No, you are not lying.

- If I am not lying then pay me your debt (a jug full of gold)

The king saw that the man had won; so he did not even say a word further, but he gave the golden apple to the poor man.


Translated from Hungarian by me

No comments: