onl

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Who ate the cheese (A Latvian Folktale)

Once upon a time, there lived an old man, Dievins, he went on a journey with a sack on his shoulders, there were three types of cheese in this sack. Shortly he met a jew and called him to come with him. So, he also went along with him. They went, slowly it became dark, they became hungry and then wanted to go to sleep.

“But what are we going to eat?” asked the jew.

The man wanted to take out the cheese from his sack but there was no cheese in it. The jew said he did not eat the cheese. Then who? The old man asked him:”Really you haven’t eaten the cheese?”

“I swear by God, that I have not!”- he answered.

So nothing could be done, they went to sleep with an empty stomach. In the morning they woke up and went further. They were passing by a dense forest and the old man sent the jew to the forest, who started to pray there. Then he said: “The one who ate the cheese, may come out”

“I swear by God, I have really not eaten it”, said the jew and came out of the forest. They went on further and came across a river. The old man pushed his companion into the river and said: “He who ate the cheese, may come out!”

The jew again swore: “I swear by God, I have really not eaten it”.
Then he came out of the river, and they went on further. Then the old man saw a gold coin lying on the road: “ I will give this coin to the person who ate the cheese”

Then the jew shouted with joy: “I swear by God, I have eaten the cheese. Give me the coin and say thanks to me, that I am taking care of it for you. Otherwise where else will you keep your gold coin?”

The man laughed out, and gave him the coin, and went ahead alone.

No comments: