onl

Monday, December 26, 2011

THE WOMAN'S TRICKS (AN ARMENIAN FOLKTALE)

A pious man whenever he left for the fields and whenever he returned, he used to pray to God.

Once his wife said to him:

- Oh my dear husband, in your prayers , why don’t you ask God to save yourself from the tricks of your wife?

- Well, now only this was left! Why should I pray about saving myself from my wife!

When the woman heard this, she decided to teach her husband a lesson and wanted to play a trick on him. She bought some fish, tied them in a handkerchief and took them to the fields when she took the lunch for her husband. Till the man got ready to eat, the woman dug up the ground a bit and hid the fish there, and then covered the ground. After that she took the vessels and returned home.

When the man started plowing the field, he saw fish appearing from the ground. He collected those fish and took them home and then narrated to his wife how he had ploughed the fish out of the ground and called this a miracle of God that He is even capable of giving birth to fish in the ground. The man ordered his wife to cook those fish so that for the next day’s lunch in the field also he can have fish. The wife cooked the fish and even ate them away and for her husband she left just the soup which she carried to the fields for his lunch.

- Where are the fish?- the man asked.

- About what kind of fish are you talking about?

- Those fish which I had ploughed out from the ground.

- Really, you have lost your mental balance. You did not bring home any kind of fish, and I haven’t seen a trace of them.

On hearing this, the man became angry, he took a stick and wanted to attack the woman but she starting shouting for help and the neighboring farmers came to help her.

- Leave me- shouted the husband, let me teach this good for nothing woman a lesson! She ate away my fish and now she tells me that I have lost my mental balance.

The farmers who had come there to help asked the woman about which fish the man was talking ?

- Please I ask you , tie this man , he has completely gone mad and now he want to beat me. It’s better you ask this man himself what kind of fish he is talking about!

- I am talking about those fish which I ploughed out from the field here- answered the husband.

- Oh, you unfortunate woman! You are right, this man has lost his brain- said the farmers who had gathered there, and telling that the man had gone mad, they tied his hands, and carried him home where they tied him to a pole.

When everyone had gone away and only the man and his wife had remained there, the woman told her husband:

- Now, what still aren’t you afraid of the woman’s tricks? Just keep in mind, this is the least what could have happened with you.

- Please, my wife, I request you to untie me and free me from these strings. I swear that everyday in my prayers I am going to ask the God to save me from the woman’s tricks.

Translated from Hungarian by me

No comments: